Add WooCommerce Custom Fields To Products
Without any doubt, WooCommerce is the most popular open-source eCommerce platform. WooCommerce default fields are awesome, but sometimes you may need to add a few extra fields on your online shopping website.
If you can not add these fields yourself, you may need to hire someone for this job. So, In this post, I am going to process adding WooCommerce custom fields to the product.
You should follow the article and I will show you a very easy way how to add WooCommerce custom fields to products.
With WooCommerce you can make a beautiful online shopping website. Because there are a lot of WooCommerce plugins and themes available on the WordPress directory.
One of the most important causes of WooCommerce success it is very flexible and very easy to customize. When you selling online, The customer’s information is mainly key.
So, you may wish to collect a piece of extra information from the customers. In that situation, the best method would be creating extra custom fields to the website and make visible to customers.
In this tutorial, I have decided to show you how to add custom fields to WooCommerce products without any plugins.
What are WooCommerce Custom Fields?
Custom fields add additional fields to the Add/Edit Product display screen in WooCommerce. They’re perfect for storing standalone data about products. Here are some examples of when you need to use WooCommerce custom fields:
- To store a unique product barcode, stock or reference quantity.
- For including additional methods for individuals to work together together with your products. This is likely to be by including additional buttons (e.g. ‘Enquire about this product), icons or social sharing hyperlinks.
- To show multimedia content concerning the product, such as embedded video or audio tracks.
- For including shortcodes offered by different plugins, such as a WooCommerce Add to Quote or Wishlist plugins.
- To store further notes concerning the prices or alternate price options. For instance, for those who’re using a bulk discount WooCommerce plugin and want to list the quantity-based discounts, then you’ll be able to add this information to a custom field.
The concept of a custom field is that it shops distinctive data. Since the data saved within the field is exclusive, you may show it within the WooCommerce front end – e.g. on the product element page, store, or category pages.
However, you wouldn’t expect to make use of this data to group or filter products. If you wish to filter by that type of data, then you want a custom taxonomy instead.
WooCommerce Custom Fields on Product Page
First, I would like to introduce What are WooCommerce custom fields?
In very simple thinking, custom field That means adding any kind of form field Or add extra information to the product or posts and pages.
But, You may need to add the following fields on your website.
- Text field
- Dropdown/select field
- Radio buttons
- File uploads
- Date fields
- Number fields
Required WooCommerce Hook
The first important thing is to use the right hook. There is WooCommerce product options hook. Looks Like below.
- woocommerce_product_options_general_product_data – General Tab
- woocommerce_product_options_inventory_product_data – Inventory Tab
- woocommerce_product_options_shipping – Shipping Tab
- woocommerce_product_options_advanced – Advanced Tab
I am going to use the woocommerce_product_options_general_product_data action hook.
If you want to add your fields to any other tab than the general one, just simply modify the hook name. learn More WooCommerce Hook.
WooCommerce Input Fields Types
- Text Field – woocommerce_wp_text_input()
- Number Field – woocommerce_wp_text_input()
- Radio – woocommerce_wp_radio()
- Checkbox – woocommerce_wp_checkbox()
- Dropdown Select – woocommerce_wp_select()
- Textarea – woocommerce_wp_textarea_input()
- Hidden Field – woocommerce_wp_hidden_input()
Adding WooCommerce New Fields
Save or Update WooCommerce Meta Data
Once your WooCommerce product fields have been created, So, the next step is to save the information. For saving the information I have to use the following hook woocommerce_process_product_meta
Again, I will use this hook to call one callback function to save or update created metadata.
Please look esc_attr() and esc_html() two functions, this two functions used to secure data.
How To Display WooCommerce Fields Values
You are done creating WooCoomerce custom fields by saving the field’s values.
So, You should display this field’s values on your website. For displaying values, you need to use WordPress get_post_meta() function. Read Code Reference.
OR, if needed, You can follow the following code for display WooCommerce Custom Fields.
Completely, the WooCommerce custom fields displaying has been done.
So, you have learned how to add WooCommerce custom fields. And add more data to your website products by editing the WooCommerce product page template. You can add more extra options using a plugin.
But, I don’t recommend the plugin. Because you should learn these functions. So, try it yourself.
WooCommerce Custom Fields Free Plugin
If you want to add WooCommerce custom fields without any coding in your website. You can use the following plugins. These all plugins are free and have good reviews.
Before installing the plugin you can check again the plugin reviews in the WordPress plugin directories.
- Product Addons for Woocommerce
- Advanced Product Fields (Product Addons) for WooCommerce
- WooCommerce Custom Fields Premium Plugin
Advanced Custom Fields (ACF)
You can use Advanced Custom Fields for your WordPress website. This plugin best for WordPress custom fields.
So, I hope the WooCommerce Custom Fields problem has been solved. Let’s enjoy the article.
Thank you for reading!
I hope this article will help you to create WooCommerce custom fields and display WooCommerce custom fields to the product page, shop page, or another page.
If you have any questions, please feel free to comment. Don’t forget to check The Best WooCommerce Themes To Create An ECommerce Website 2020.